Saturday, November 23, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving


I love Thanksgiving. It’s probably my favorite holiday of the year. It’s the one time of year our extended family gets together to celebrate the day and each other. It’s especially important as the years go by.

 
Our family has traditions surrounding the holiday, including playing charades, children making projects at the craft table, and having breakfast at my cousin’s house the next morning.  And, of course, there are always stories to swap when it’s been so long since we’ve
seen each other.  


How ‘bout you?  What are you most thankful for?  Do you have any traditions or things you look forward to for Thanksgiving?  Share them here. Don’t forget to join the conversation.



3 comments:

Mina said...

Hello, I am one of Ellen's aunts. I am one of the lucky relatives that get to "stay home" while our wayward relatives travel, via car, airplane or rv. Besides catching up on everyone's life, and getting plenty of hugs and kisses, one of my favorite traditions is hiding the donkey head. When Ellen and her brother Jim were toddlers, there was a toy donkey that they would play with whenever they would visit my mother's (their Grandmother's) house. Years went by. Eventually, only a donkey head was left. Instead of being tossed and forgotten, the donkey head has become an important part of our Thanksgiving tradition. Each year we wait until my Mom leaves the room, then the youngest agile young man in the family (generations grow up and little boys become young men, and then dads and then granddads!), (at everyone's urging) - removes the donkeys head from where ever someone placed it the year before, and after a huge discussion among everyone, he hides it again in plain view - way way up high, for my Mom to find. The head has rested on a bird house, on a figurines loon's beak, and on a figurines elephant's trunk, as I recall. My Mom's friends are even in on the action, and ask her if she has found the donkey, after we leave from our days long celebration of Thanksgiving. This has been going on for countless years. Happy Thanksgiving. Good family, friends, health and happiness to you all.

Ellen Andersen said...

I never knew where that came from and how it started. What a funny, wonderful, and unique story!

Jean Andersen said...

And don't forget hanging spoons from one's nose, which I Ellen's Mom has never been able to do.
As you can see from the picture, the skill has morphed into ear hanging as well.